Friday, May 27, 2011

Barn Sales, Testing, and African Elephants ...OH MY!

Last weekend we had a barn sale and thankfully we had beautiful weather for it. B had been working hard to have her own table with the things she has been making all winter. She makes soaps, beaded key chains, and waterbottle ID tags.


Sadly, I think because we have had so much rain around here, everyone was home mowing and getting things done in their yard, instead of going to garage sales! The first day she sold a few things but on the second day she was a little disappointed. Still, she learned a lot and is already thinking of other ways to sell her products.
At one point, we had a man looking around that asked her if school was off for the day. She answered, "Yes."
He was unsatisfied and looked at me and said, "Why are the schools off today?"
I said reluctantly, "She's homeschooled."
He made a "ohhhh" sound.
Then I decided... hey wait..and said, "She's taking today off to run her own business."
With that, he seemed more than satisfied.

We have been completing our end of the year testing over the last two weeks. It was J1's last test before graduating highschool and J3's first standardized test ever. We have been having a lot of milestones happen in our home this year (especially this month and next). J2 turned "16" yesterday and J1's graduation is next Saturday! B is heading to her first sleep over tonight. Help!!

I had to laugh when I realized I took a picture of J3 testing to remember his fist standardized testing ever. Only a homeschool mom....only a homeschool mom. :-)

We still found a some time to do a little project. We decided to paint some African Elephants. I can't remember where I first saw this project but I will try to find it and post a link.

First we drew in pencil lightly and then we went over the drawing with washable markers. You then paint with water just like one of those water color books that already have the color drawn in.
I'll show the finished paintings in our quarterly wrap up post. They turned out pretty good.

No comments: