Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mother Culture

This time of year we are all about the school day, especially since the holidays have taken us off track a bit. Although I am happy to be getting our school work done, I can easily get burned out after a couple of weeks. I've been thinking about reinstating some "Mother Culture" back into my life.
I like how Karen Andreola descibes "Mother Culture". On her blog, Karen says;

Charlotte believed that this countenance of contentment, of serenity, can come about even during stressful times when a mother learns to occasionally do for herself what she does for her children - go out to play. Charlotte tells us we would have happier households if we mothers "would only have courage to let everything go when life becomes too tense, and just take a day, or a half a day, out in the fields, or with a favorite book, or in a picture gallery. . ." For a mother to allow herself a bit of leisure to rest and refresh herself by exploring her own interests, to find a little time for herself, especially when so many others depend on her, is a what Karen calls, Mother Culture ®.

I really need to remember to go out and play!! In the summer it's easy for me to find things to do. Winter on the other hand, not so much.

Her blog also says...

When a busy homeschooling mother takes part in Mother Culture she safeguards her enthusiasm, so she will be better able to cope with her responsibilities. To partake in Mother Culture is to feed herself with the Word of God, with ideas from books, nature, art, music, etc., thus taking care to keep growing spiritually and mentally. If there such is a thing as the joy of childhood, there is also such a thing as the joy of motherhood, and Karen admonishes mothers to recognize and live within such a blessing.

Love that!

Soooooo, this week here is what I have been up to.

Grabbed me a new skein of yarn in "oatmeal" to crochet a scarf.

Here's what I'm reading.


Listen to this from, Boys Should be Boys....

"Nature was impotant to Tyler, as it is for all boys, because boyhood is meant to be lived between a boy's imagination and his feet. He needs to move his feet in order to keep up with his sense of wonder. That is why boys are so physical, so rough. Life is a continual experiment to see what can happen if...."

So true! so true! But I would venture to say nature is just as important to girls too. I am such a nature girl!!

Here's what I'm listening to.


I can't tell you how much this CD relaxes me. I listen to it on my Spotify.
I hope this post inspires you to add in some "Mother Culture" to your week as well.

I leave you with this...

No comments: